Virtual Executive Assistant Skills & Competencies
Typing, filing, and other clerical skills are important, but the best executive assistants often have strong personalities that are exhibited through several beneficial soft skills:
- Communication skills: Virtual executive assistants often serve as a gatekeeper, deciding which messages and which visitors or callers need to go directly to their employer and which need to redirected or handled in some other way. This involves the ability to quickly glean information from those demanding time from their boss.
- Time management: Anyone managing another person’s time, as virtual executive assistants often do for their bosses, also need to be good at managing their own time.
- Trustworthiness: Virtual executive assistants often have access to sensitive information, and the executives they work for need to trust them fully in order for them to be as efficient as possible at their jobs.
- Multitasking: Virtual executive assistants are regularly handling more than one task at a time while keeping tabs on their bosses’ schedules and keeping them on track.
Here are the tasks to delegate to your Virtual Executive Assistant.
- Preparing financial statements, reports, memos, invoices letters, and other documents.
- Answering phones and routing calls to the correct person or taking messages.
- Handling basic bookkeeping tasks.
- Filing and retrieving corporate records, documents, and reports.
- Researching and conducting data to prepare documents for review and presentation by boards of directors, committees, and executives.
- Helping prepare for meetings.
- Accurately recording minutes from meetings.
- Greeting visitors and deciding if they should be able to meet with executives.
- Using various software, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software.
- Reading and analyzing incoming memos, submissions, and distributing them as needed.
- Making travel arrangements for executives.
- Performing office duties that include ordering supplies and managing a records database.
- Experience as a virtual team.
- Opening, sorting and distributing incoming faxes, emails, and other correspondence.
- Provide general administrative support.